Your Challenge: Build a simple hovercraft with everyday materials.
What You Need
- An old CD
- Latex balloon
- Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Soda Bottle Cap
- Poke several hole in the top of the soda bottle cap using the tack.
- Use a hot glue gun to attach the soda bottle cap onto the center of the CD. Make sure the soda bottle cap is covering the hole in the CD entirely. Make sure it is secure.
- Blow up the balloon and twist the neck so no air escapes. While keeping the balloon inflated, pull the lips of the balloon over the edge of the soda bottle cap.
- Before letting go of the balloon, make predictions on what you think will happen.
- Set your hovercraft on a flat surface (like a counter) and let go of the balloon. Watch what happens next!
How It Works
The force of the air that exits the balloon as it deflates goes through the holes in the bottle cap, pushes against the surface (floor or counter), and creates a cushion of air over which the CD glides freely.