Your Challenge: How different are water and bleach when colors are involved?
What You Need
- Food Coloring
- 2 Clear Cups
- Adult Supervision
- Fill one of the clear cups with room temperature water about 3/4 full
- Add 2 drops of food coloring to the water. Observe how the food coloring mixes with the water.
- Fill the other cup with bleach- 1/4 of the way full.
- Pour the mixture back and forth between the two cups 3-5 times. Once mixes, let the mixture sit.
- Observe the changes in color.
Take It Further
Try conducting the experiment using different types of bleach: scented vs. unscented, different concentrations, or different brands.
How It Works
Bleach fades color. The process happenings is called bleaching or whitening. If is a result of oxidizing or reducing. The molecules, after being oxidized, will no longer absorb the visible light. The molecules do not fade, they actually spread out, giving them the impression that their color is lost.
Chemist, Chemical Engineer